After receiving my letter from Michigan on Monday night, (or rather, after my mother read it to me over the phone, as it was sent to my permanent address), I called my piano professor to relay to him the rather unfortunate news. His initial reaction was speechlessness. After talking to him for a couple of minutes, he told me he would get in touch with one of his connections at Michigan to see if he could gather any further details/feedback about my audition, placement on the waiting list, etc. He received an email response just a couple of hours ago. This is the gist of what a portion of the email said, emphasis added:
"Britny's audition was excellent. She played beautifully. [further feedback about audition] However, there is only one spot open in the program this year. We are still waiting to hear back from the student who is in Rank #1 as to whether or not he/she would like to accept the position. Britny is Rank #2.
"We have tried to add a second position in the program this year, but the university will not approve said action (funding reasons, etc.). We will have to wait until we hear from Rank #1 to see whether or not we are able to invite Britny to study at Michigan."